Man kind has an obsession with the future and what it will bring. The thing is we will never reach the future. Ever. We have been eternally binded to the present and have no hope of escaping it's grip. Any wise man knows predicting the future is a fool's game so for 250 words I will make it my job to play the fool. This rock we call earth is doomed. We made sure of that a little bit ago when we committed to using almost every pollutant imaginable in excess. We drive cars all day, we dump tons of garbage in the ocean, we dig highly reactive metals out of the earth to power our cities which are filled with smog and sewage and other assorted waste. What we need is to not waste time trying to save this earth, oh no. Carpe Diem! live life to the fullest. What we need is to fly away, make our own world. Forget what we inherited and worry about what we create. It would be great if i could give my race the tools mold worlds but if there is one single thing we have the greatest need and the smallest progress toward it is space travel. I'm not talking about our access to our own orbit. I'm talking about our access to worlds far far away. Worlds are a rarity in our universe or planets, that is. I don't think scientists have ever found a solar system with anywhere near as many planets as our own. The thing about earth is it is located in a very special spot in relation to the sun. It sits perfectly inside this narrow orbital. This limits the amount of possible new worlds our race could potentially colonise incredibly. We already had a small pool, now we have remove any planets which are too far or too close to their sun. The closest planet which meets that criteria is an amazingly long distance away. So back to my point on what we need. Going to the closest planet to our own is a dream that is kind of far away. If i were to invent something for mankind it be something to enable them to be transported across great distances in order to create new environments worth living in.
Science fiction knows what i mean. Call it hyperspace, slip space, warp drive, mass relays, light speed or whatever. It all means the same thing. The ability to make the ship's engines take you far and away with few contextual problems. Giving this to my people would be a dream come true and solve every problem I would have envisioned us not being able to surmount. I would trust them to do a good enough job with the elimination process when looking for a suitable planet to host us and replace our forsaken old one. I would also trust them to find a way to build these ships themselves and make them able to transport millions of tons of supplies needed to fill a new world. I would trust them to strictly regulate this new world and I would trust them put my invention to use. All I need to do is give them the technology and all will be OK.
No comments:
Post a Comment