I chose to read Eldest by Christopher Paolini, the second book of the inheritance series which started with Eragon. This I have to do every day for the first fifteen minutes of English class everyday and even though many things tried to discourage me I am very happy with my choice. The first and definitely least effective discouraging factor in choosing which book to read was just how big it was. I would have preferred a smaller book. One that did not feel like it weighed 20 pounds, but I also wanted a story. A story that would last me awhile and one that was done well. Everything I had heard of the author, Christopher Paolini was very good. Everyone I knew had really enjoyed his books so I decided it would be my turn to give it a try, no matter how daunting of a task it looked. My younger brother said many more things that worried me. He said I would not understand anything that was going on in the book and that he himself had to go back and read the first book even after me and him bought and watched the movie for it together. He said he had no idea what was going on. He was wrong.
The thing is everything he told me has proven untrue. I have always held over him that my memory far exceeds his but at risk of sounding like I'm gloating, I never really understood just how much better it was. Maybe the synopsis did all the work but when I started reading I could remember almost everything about the first book that was referred to. Even though it was years before my memory of the movie was very close to the recounting given in the synopsis and what details I needed to be told where also contained right there, in the synopsis. So far I have been very impressed with Mr. Paolini's tale of Eragon's journey to grow in magic, mind, and mettle. I am almost halfway through the book and still very excited to keep continuing. The book keeps switching to Eragon's cousin Roran who's story is almost just as enthralling at times. Sometimes I feel like I have started committing too much of my extra time to reading my book but I am enjoying it to much to truly take that into consideration.
No comments:
Post a Comment